Kent Farmers’ Market Association was formed in 2007 following a project carried out by the Kent Business School. This estimated that the value of the Farmers' Markets in the local economy was almost £3m per year. It also highlighted that growth was faltering because:-
- almost all the markets in Kent were run by volunteers;
- the sector was highly fragmented,
- most lacked resources to promote their markets and the Farmers' Markets ‘brand’.
This stimulated an initiative to form the Association and exploit more cooperative ways of working. The Association is now the largest regional grouping of farmers’ markets in the country operating nearly 1000 markets a year. It undertakes a range of activities, including:
- the promotion of the local food ‘brand’ and the Farmers Market profile in the eyes of the media, local Authorities and other potential partners
- operating a common web site to help shoppers find markets and to drive up footfall and spend per shopper
- encouraging best practice by helping managers and producers improve standards
- informing all of changes in regulations;
- collaboration of marketing and purchasing,
- helping producers find additional outlets for their products and grow their businesses,
- advising new markets on establishing strong foundations,
We believe passionately that Farmers' Markets provide shoppers with higher quality, more nutritious, easily traceable and fresher local food and drink. In addition, they give Kent's farmers and small food enterprises the opportunity to sell direct to the public and so get a fair price for their products. They also offer a location for local communities to get together and often to replace a closed village shop.
Kent Farmers' Market Association collects data in order to keep our traders, market managers and shoppers informed about local food in Kent. A full statement of our data policy can be read here. You have the right to view and amend the data we hold on you or be removed from our database entirely. Please CONTACT Us on email@example.com for more information.